Two of the easiest and most affordable ways to reduce arthritis pain are the tried and true: hot and cold pack treatments.
Hot treatments, such as heating pads and warm baths, are most appropriate for soothing a stiff joint or tired muscles. Heat also is very good to get your body more limber and ready for an activity.
On the other hand, cold therapy is better for acute pains and numbing sore areas. Cold treatment also is useful to reduce swelling and inflammation. Some heat treatments to melt away arthritis pain:
- Take a hot shower in the morning to limber you up for a busy day.
- Use warm paraffin wax on your sore joints.
- Try a soak in a warm jacuzzi bath or whirlpool.
- Purchase heat pads (such as Soft Comfort Large Hot Pad below). You also can make one at home in a pinch by putting a moist washcloth in a plastic bad. Heat it in the microwave for a minute. Then put your homemade hot pack in a towel and put over the sore area for 20 minutes.
Some cold treatments to try:
- Put an ice bag wrapped in a towel or a cold pack on the painful area for up to 10 minutes.
- Wrap a towel around a bag of frozen peas and put it on your sore joints for relief.
For a sore wrist, try our ProtoCold Small Cold Wrap: